OWHA Vaccination Policy (updated September 27, 2021)
It is mandatory, as a condition of eligibility to participate in any OWHA-sanctioned activity, that everyone born in 2009 and earlier must be fully vaccinated (2 shots plus 14 days) as soon as possible and by no later than November 1, 2021. This includes all players, staff and volunteers, including coaches, trainers and officials. The only exemption from this requirement is for two specific medical reasons.
Read OWHA's Vaccination Policy
York Region Vaccination Policy (updated September 29, 2021)
Effective 12:01 a.m. on Friday, October 1, 2021, each person, age 12 years and older, entering a sports facility, who attends the indoor area of the facility for the purpose of (a) actively participating in organized sports, (b) coaching, officiating at organized sports or volunteering or (c) spectating at organized sports to provide identification and proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or a valid medical exemption.
Read full announcement
City of Markham Update (updated September 30, 2021)
We have received an update from the City of Markham regarding York Region’s Sept 29 Letter of Instruction.
- “As you are aware, the City of Markham had already established a timeline of October 31st that required everyone 12 years of age and older to be fully vaccinated in order to enter a City of Markham indoor recreation facility. The Regional Municipality of York has chosen to apply the same 12+ requirement, but on a much shorter deadline, by this Friday. The City of Markham respects and supports the Letter of Instruction by York Region that will require those aged 12-17, coaches/volunteers/officials and all spectators to be fully vaccinated in order to participate in organized sport as a necessary and fair approach to limiting the spread of COVID-19.
- Due to operational considerations, the City of Markham will request compliance of the public as of October 1, 2021, but full enforcement will not take place until October 31, 2021. As a result, at this time, youth athletes between the ages of 12 to 17, that are participating in organized sports governed by a recognized Provincial or National Sport Organization, that are able to provide proof that they have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine will continue to be allowed access until October 31, 2021. As of November 1, 2021 youth athletes unable to provide proof of full vaccination or medical exemption will not be permitted.
Residents are reminded that facility owners and operators are required to request proof of vaccination as part of the provincial vaccine certificate program. Please demonstrate kindness and cooperation when asked for proof of vaccination.
Important instructions. To enter a Markham or Stouffville hockey rink, you will be required to:
- Show an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccination receipt or other government issued vaccination record indicating that you are fully vaccinated, plus 14 days from your second shot -- for every visitor 12 years and older;
- Show identification which includes name and date of birth (photo ID is not required) for every visitor. Children under the age of 12 must still present identification to prove their age exemption. All children under 10 must be accompanied into the facility with an adult that meets the proof of vaccination requirements. Government issued ID may include a birth certificate, drivers license, health card, citizenship card, passport, etc. (student cards are not an acceptable form of identification).
- Proof of completion of COVID screening on your mobile device or a printed copy. You will find a QR code on the facility door that you can scan and it will take you to the online screen tool.
To make the screening and proof of vaccination process as quick as possible for everyone, we ask that you arrive to your program early and have your identification, screening results and proof of vaccination ready to present to staff at the Facility.